2.27.2006

Ending Abortion in South Dakota

According to the Minnesota Daily, “both houses of South Dakota’s legislature passed a bill banning almost all abortions, with the only exception being to save the mother’s life. Now the bill is waiting for the signature of abortion opponent Gov. Mike Rounds, who says he is inclined to sign it.”

Another part of the law states, “if a woman who is raped becomes pregnant, the rapist would have the same rights to the child as the mother,” (CNN).

All of this makes me scream, STOP! Do lawmakers know what they’re doing? The state only has one abortion clinic, which performs an average of 800 abortions a year - less than 3 a day. I can’t imagine that this would become the law of the land. I also can’t imagine how the bill got this far. I would expect this craziness from Bible Belt of West Virginia, not an awesome state like South Dakota.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, Am very happy that you are coming to SD for your internship! Whenever I get to your site though I can't help but ready everything you have written. Although I don't know that I would ever be able to accept my children having an abortion I am a big believer in a women's choice. And I along with you am very disappointed to see this law pass in my home state of SD. I struggle with religious part but am not sure when life begins. Anyway just so you know I couldn't agree with you more. The option of selective reduction was given to Nicole when she first found out she was pregnant with quads. God did the selective reduction and I am so happy for her decision. Anyway keep up the good work of spreading God's word! Love you and Aaron -aunt Loretta