10.24.2005

The Notebook

During the film, many couples came vividly to my mind. For each, I shed tears. I weep for Aaron and I, and the wonderful love we share and the uncertainty of our tomorrows. I cry for Tyler and Amber who will take vows and make public their intent to live as husband and wife this weekend. I sob for Dan’s wife, who grieves the lose of her husband. I grieve for my grandma Wernicke who continues to live without Grandpa.

On Wednesday, Grandpa will have been gone for 4 years. He died of complications stemming from Alzheimer’s disease. Grandma keeps his photo near her and kisses ‘him’ at least once every morning and every night. During our last visit home, Grandma asked Aaron and I if she would know Grandpa when she got to heaven. When we left her, I wanted to hold Aaron and never let go. Watching the progression of Grandpa’s disease and the love that he and Grandma shared (63 years married, 72 years love) was a powerful witness to the bonds two people can share. In my experience, my grandparents shared the longest, strongest love I’ve ever seen. Even during Grandpas final days when he forgot his only living son, he knew Grandma was his wife. He also knew who was family and who was staff. During his final week, if a family member walked in the room and grab his hand he’d pucker up for a kiss. Other than the kiss, he was unconscious. I will never forget the long hours holding his hand during his last week of life. I could sit by his bed and hold his hand with my left hand as I studied for midterms with my right. If I were away from him, I couldn’t focus, but if I were with him, I knew how he was and could study all night. Love and family, what a curious and blessed combination.

No comments: