10.04.2005

From the depths of the pit

Families can be amazing structures of support and comfort. Families can also be the places of extreme pain and sorrow. Seminary courses can be filled with discovery and insight.

Yesterday, the worst of my family pain met the discovery and insight of class. How can I look at my sorrow through a theological lense? I can't. Right now I can't look at this pain. If I have not worked through this pain I cannot assist others who are in similar situations. Where do I begin the work? Can I even begin the work?

I am tired - classes are stressful. I am tired - my father is a using alcoholic. I am tired - I cannot even speak of the secret that grips me now.

I called on your name, O LORD,
from the depths of the pit;
you heard my plea, "Do not close your ear
to my cry for help, but give me relief!"
You came near when I called on you;
you said, "Do not fear!"
You have taken up my cause, O LORD,
you have redeemed my life.

Lamentations 3:55-58

No comments: