10.03.2005

Failure

Lately, I have fallen deaf to the cries of the poor. I find myself easily wrapped in a world consisting of Luther, work, friends, family and Aaron. While these people and things are important I do not want them to be the only important things in life. This morning I listened listened to a MD who gave up a comfortable suburban practice to walk with the poor in D.C. and later I watched a slide show from a U.S. delegation to Colombia. While hearing about the MD I thought of my experience living in the city in solidarity with the poor and how rich (in non-monetary ways) I felt doing it. While looking at the Colombia photos I recognized faces of pastors I have met through the Sal y Luz (salt and light) partnership here at Luther. A pastor traveled here while her husband was captured and detained by the Colombian forces who have a record of killing those whom they capture. My question becomes where am I truly involved here and now? Yesterday at a potluck I heard the voice of a Hispanic immigrant who was speaking about two acts that would significantly improve situations for non-documented people in the U.S. and those who wish to come. I realized that I have no clue what ISAIAH, a faith based community-organizing group in the cities and is part of the Gamaliel Foundation that works nationally for policy changes, is up to. I feel I am getting to complacent. I am not speaking up for the least, lost, lowly and left behind. Where am I being called? What can I do?

No comments: