7.22.2005

Reflections Priesthood of All Believers and Other Pious Myths ...bye to do list

Timothy Wengert wrote an interesting Priesthood of All Believers and Other Pious Myths tearing apart many common Lutheran myths. First off, Wengert says that Luther and Melanchthon were colleagues and not friends, how sad. I had pictured the two drinking in pubs swapping family stories while batting theological ideas around – I guess they aren’t the modern day Chris and Lori. His thesis, “In fact, once we jettison this notion and approach Luther’s own statements de novo, we discover a far more revolutionary approach to Christian ministry – one that, to be sure, totally eliminates the distinction between the laity and clergy, while at the same time giving new authority and purpose to the public office of ministry in Christ’s church.”

One sentence I particularly enjoy speaks to clergy, “holding an office within the one body of Christ can never be a claim to power but a powerful claim to weakness, to service.” Also of note, “service, understood as dying for the other.” He also claims that priest rightfully used is, “a Christian or spiritual human being.” Does this statement bring up the spiritual verses religious debate? I sure hope not!

In contrast to Kelly Fryer’s teaching Wengert states, “the point of all of these offices [shoemaker, law enforcement and clergy] is always and only service: whether making shoes, keeping order or administering God’s Word and sacraments.” He says that it is the office of priest or bishop that make this one’s work. Fryer conversely has encouraged laity (if I can use the term anymore) to preside. She claims that pastors are called to administer Word and sacrament. Administration doesn’t mean ‘to do’ rather it is to oversee the proper ‘doing.’

Reading things like this always makes me think. The teachings from Mary Jane Haemig’s History of the Reformation are challenged. Through what lens was she reading and therefore feeding to us, her students? Do I ever think an original thought. It seems this early in my theological studies that I take in all the ideas from my professors and realize the juxtaposition. I try to fit articles like this into my already existing schema, but it doesn’t always work. What does it mean to be a part of the priesthood of all believers? Today I will say that it is one faith, one baptism and one Lord. More than that, ask me over a pint.