10.23.2006

Shocking Election Campaigning

On South Dakota’s November 7th ballot is a law that would ban abortion. If passed, the only exception is for the mother’s life, no exception for rape, incest, etc. It’s not surprising that Sioux Falls, the largest city in SD is going crazy with campaigning. Aaron and I frequently drive down a street where over 800 pink and blue crosses represent the children aborted in SD last year. I get the point, but tonight during a US House debate I heard the most shocking statement that made me laugh and want to scream all at the same time. The republican candidate was asked about social security. He talked about privatization then he went on to talk about how the number of workers supporting each SS recipient is not where it once was. He went on to say that the ratio would be better if the 40 million aborted fetuses weren’t aborted. Whalen claimed that social security would be better off if the 40 million fetuses were around to pay SS. So, his two solutions for solvency of SS were private accounts and banning abortion. And if I had a nickel for every time he talked about being a pro-life family values guy from SD I’d be drinking Moet & Chandon instead of blogging. There’s hope Whalen’s opponent is favored by over 30 points and Aaron just handed me a check to mail for SD Coalition for Healthy Families (aka the pro-choice patriots).

No comments: