10.18.2006

Homesickness

Tonight I got an email from my cousin Raven announcing a tentative girls weekend in Ohio. It doesn’t help that I’m already a bit homesick. The email was in response to an earlier inquiry about getting together all the women of my mom’s mom’s mom (or the girls descending from my great-grandma, Mamaw). It appears that the weekend suggested is the one that marks the third anniversary of Mamaw’s death.

I remember sitting in Mamaw’s room the night she died. The women folk of the family were looking though photos and sharing stories. We decided that we needed to have a girl’s weekend. Finally, three years later one is being planned.

Problem: I’m on internship in South Dakota, and there’s no way I can get the time off.
Result: Increased homesickness.

Tomorrow Aaron and I have to travel to St. Peter, Minnesota for a meeting. We have to get up at 5:30a to get there on time. I can’t sleep. After I got Raven’s email I lost it. It’s great that the girl’s weekend is finally going to become a reality, but I can’t be there! While thinking about missing the weekend I began to think about when I’ll be in Ohio. Well, we’ll be in Ohio in December but then we’re away until May. That means 6 months without going to Ohio. I’ve done that before, but I’ve never lasted 6 months without seeing my mom and grandma. While I was in Milwaukee I was away for 6 months but Shannon, Mom, Grandma and Mel came at various times to break things up a bit. Specifically, Mom and Mel came the weekend after Easter, my first holiday away.

Now what. I know I’ll make it through, but it hurts (literally, my eyes are swollen and my head is pounding from crying so much). Somehow I’m reminded of my supervising pastor’s famous question that I’ve never had a real answer for until tonight, “do you still want to be a pastor?” For the first time I think I have an answer. If being away from my family of origin for extended periods of time is part of the package, no I don’t want to be a pastor.

I even came down hard on Aaron tonight. He was trying to make me feel better and I said, “if I lived as close as you do to your family I’d see my mom and grandma at least once a week.” Yes, families are different, but it’s hard to realize how physically close we are to his family, but we don’t see them with any greater frequency than if we lived in the cities. Right now, I’m jealous. I want to get in the car in the morning and drive until we reach Columbus. Better yet, I want a plane ticket to Ohio on February 23.

2 comments:

Wesley said...

Hey Chrissy,
I love you very much and I completly understand what you are going through as well I have lived two years away from my friends, family, country, and culture.
Being away from your friends and family is never easy, but the experience you are going through right now is part of Gods plan for you. Without being where you are you wouldnt be able to accomplish the things He has planned for you.
Also, just remember that the world is never going to stop for you. When something major happens back home like a marriage or a birth, that I cant be a part of, I often times think why am I here doing this when I should be home. Then I think that this is where God needs me to be right now. Its hard, but you will become a much more independent person because of this experience. Also, remember we live in a day and age where friends are just a phone call or an e mail away...never underestimate the power of the phone card...or in your case the cell phone. I love you and keep your chin up! Homesickness comes and go...but it always goes!
Wesley

Gunslinger said...

You make me wish that for just one time I could manipulate time and space and get you back for your girl's weekend. I can't even think of your post without crying. I can't imagine the conflict of dreams vs. those you love and I'm kinda intimate with conflict. Were it just money, I'd find a way to get you that ticket.

I know it may be little comfort, but I've learned very much the hard way lately that the people who love will always be there for you. They will love you despite the miles and as long as they are in our hearts, they are with us.

Peace,

Bobby