9.22.2005

Tornados

After a stormy night, I’m at home instead of work. At 7:30 this morning, I received a call from Janet. Through the static on the line she began to tell me that trees are down all around their place and a tree is blocking my parking spot – the one beside her car that was hit by a tree. There were straight-line winds that hit their house with tornados touching down within a few miles. They have no telephone service and no electric. In typical Janet fashion, her cell phone battery is run down and she was on a neighbors cell. As the static got worse she said, “don’t come, can you hear me, don’t come today, unless you hear otherwise don’t come tomorrow!” She stated that they were physically fine, just shaken up. Her husband was out of town; I can’t imagine Janet with terrified Ellen and James without telephone and electric all last night and today. They’ll manage. Compared to the other weather events going on this is extremely minor. That doesn’t take away from what they’re feeling or how I’m worrying about them.

The Luther campus faired pretty well. On my way to class I saw many tree limbs that had fallen as well as a few trees blocking my walk through the alley. I haven't seen or heard of any structural damage yet. Back to the books!

No comments: