9.10.2006

Shannon’s Wedding, Calorie Counting, and Jamaica – Oh My!


I feel like I'’m always just updating here anymore, but here I go again. So, Shannon is engaged to Tim and I'm getting ready for a wedding. Big huge news - congrats!

On Labor Day I decided I'm tired of my extra weight and it'’s time to count calories. I'm going public with this now, because I want to be embarrassed if I fail - that'’s a big motivator. Goal: 60 pounds by June 16th, Audra and Jake'’s wedding day. So far so good, but it's only day 6. Aaron decided to join me in the goal. Now it's not just about loosing the weight that I'’ve been putting off forever, but we're both to stubborn to quit until the other one doesn't. Our stubborn sides finally show themselves as strengths. Wish us luck!

And now to Jamaica. Well, we got two free flights within the 48 contiguous states, but that doesn't get us to Jamaica. This past week we were kicking around flying to a Royal Caribbean port of call and cruising to a tropical destination, but I thought that we could do better. Saturday morning I got a plan. I'll use the Delta Skymiles I was going to use to get to Ohio in December to get one of us to the Caribbean and just buy one ticket. The flight vouchers are transferable and so we'll sell one to get some cash to offset the cost of the purchased ticket and the other will get me to Ohio. Then I was left with finding an all-inclusive resort for a good price. I started with what I know, Sandals, but they've got stuff we don'’t need and they'’re very large. So I kept looking. Then I found a resort that I swear I would've built if we had enough money to build a resort in Jamaica. It's called Sunset at the Palms. A few awesome features are private treetop homes in a jungle preservation area; the resort is made of native wood and was the first 'green' resort in Jamaica and possibly the Caribbean. Aaron gets to see the ocean for the first time and he gets out of the US; I get my swim up bar (see photo).From what I can tell it'’s a more laid back place than the normal resort -– trading high intensity for natural beauty and sophistication. Oh, and we're on the western tip of the island which means breathtaking sunsets. Tomorrow we'’re off to get passports for our late January getaway.

No comments: