4.10.2006

Solidarity March for Immigration Rights


On Sunday, I joined over 30,000 marchers fighting for immigration reform. I went for many reasons – I went because of our broken system, because of my friends in Mexico and El Salvador, because my freedom in bound with theirs and because I am part of an immigrant family, like most Americans. I found myself in wholehearted agreement with what Archbishop Harry Flynn of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis had to say. “We are at a crossroads right now that will define the character of our country… Yes, holding one another accountable to the law is important, but there is also a higher law that forms the basis of our legal justice system and many of our religious traditions. Our higher law is based on the values of human dignity, community and solidarity. And we must not only hold one another accountable to these values -- we must act on them." I could be found guilty in a US court because I have ‘helped’ undocumented immigrants as I hold myself accountable to the higher law. I am proud to say I’m guilty, but I’m furious that a law exists making my actions criminal. It’s more than what’s at stake for those fortunate enough to be citizens it’s about fair immigration laws, it’s about the millions that are here working, going to school, paying taxes and contributing to society while in fear of deportation. Yesterday I marched in solidarity with folks of all colors, ages and backgrounds. We marched to let our leaders know we will not stand by silently and we marched to let each other know you are not alone in your struggle.
_________________________________________
More photos available on Chris' Pics Page

1 comment:

Wesley said...

Wow thats amazing! I really wish I could have marched with you!