6.25.2005

120 Ounces

www.ComFest.com Today I went to Comfest, the largest non-commercial gathering in the U.S. and connected with a side of me I’ve been neglecting. The guiding principles...
_________________________________________
Statement of Principles

We think that people ought to work for the collective good of all people rather than for personal gain. We support cooperation and collective activity rather than competition and individual profit.

The basic necessities of life are a right and not a privilege. People have the collective right to control the conditions of their lives.

People should strive to conduct their lives in harmony with the environment.

We recognize that there are primary attitudes which divide and oppress people. These attitudes are usually shown by prejudice against people on the basis of age, class, ability, income, race, sex, and sexual preference/ orientation.

We seek to eliminate these attitudes.
_____________________________________________


The spirit of the festivities were in line with these principles. I spent the day walking around art booths, listening to local music, being around people of tolerance and gentleness as well as eating and drinking the best Columbus has to offer (beer and brats!).

Now that I am home I am filled with the need to reconnect in different ways. Tomorrow I am planning to go to my home church for early service at Bethel Lutheran in Grove City and then heading to St. John’s in Columbus. St. John’s is where I was baptized. I cannot remember ever being there. Somehow, I feel a need to go and see this area of Columbus that is often forgotten. It is not downtown, but it is far from suburban. I am interested to go and worship not only to worship with whom I can worship with, but also to feel my emotions to the place in which was so climatic for me over 22 years ago. I was baptized in a Lutheran church, but my parents were not Lutheran. How odd.

No comments: